Do you struggle with the unpleasant odor emanating from your shoes? It can be embarrassing and frustrating, especially if you’ve tried everything to eliminate it to no avail. Luckily, we’ve got you covered with some easy and efficient tips on how to remove the ammonia smell from your shoes. Keep reading to find out more!
Why Do My Shoes Smell Like Ammonia?
There are several reasons why your shoes may smell like ammonia. One of the most common reasons is the buildup of sweat and bacteria inside the shoes. When you wear shoes for an extended period, your feet sweat, and the moisture gets trapped inside the shoes. This creates a breeding ground for bacteria, which can produce an ammonia-like odor.
Another reason why your shoes may smell like ammonia is if you use cleaning products that contain ammonia to clean them. Ammonia is a potent cleaning agent that can leave a strong odor if not rinsed off properly.
Why Do My Feet Smell Like Ammonia?
There are a few reasons why your feet might smell like ammonia. One reason is that your feet have a lot of sweat glands. In fact, your feet have about 250,000 sweat glands, which is more than any other part of your body. When you sweat, your body releases a substance called urea. Urea is a waste product that is produced when your body breaks down proteins. When urea comes into contact with bacteria on your skin, it can break down into ammonia. This is what gives your feet their characteristically strong odor.
Another reason why your feet might smell like ammonia is if you have a condition called hyperhidrosis. Hyperhidrosis is a condition that causes excessive sweating. If you have hyperhidrosis, your feet may sweat so much that they become damp and moist. This creates an ideal environment for bacteria to grow, which can lead to a strong ammonia odor.
Finally, if you have kidney disease, your body may not be able to excrete urea as effectively as it should. This can lead to an accumulation of urea in your body, which can then be released through your sweat. This can also cause your feet to smell like ammonia.
If you are concerned about the smell of your feet, there are a few things you can do to help reduce the odor. First, make sure that you are wearing shoes that fit well and allow your feet to breathe. Second, wash your feet regularly with soap and water. Third, dry your feet thoroughly after bathing or showering. Fourth, apply a foot powder to your feet to help absorb moisture. Fifth, change your socks regularly throughout the day. Finally, if you have hyperhidrosis or kidney disease, talk to your doctor about treatment options.
Must Read: I Spilled Water in My Car and It Smells: Here is What to Do
Must Read: How to Get Rid of Weed Smell from Neighbours (7 Effective Ways)
How to Get Ammonia Smell Out of Shoes?
1. Use Baking Soda
Sure, here are the steps on how to use baking soda to remove ammonia smell from shoes:
- Sprinkle baking soda inside your shoes.
- Let the baking soda sit for at least 30 minutes, or overnight if possible.
- Vacuum the baking soda out of your shoes.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 as needed until the ammonia smell is gone.
Baking soda is a natural deodorizer that can help to absorb moisture and odor. It is also non-toxic and safe to use around children and pets.
2. Try Vinegar
Vinegar is an effective natural deodorizer that can help eliminate unpleasant odors from shoes. It is a mild acid that can help to break down the bacteria that cause odor, and it also has a strong odor of its own that can help to mask the smell of your shoes. To use vinegar to deodorize your shoes, simply mix equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle and spray the solution inside your shoes. Let the solution sit for 30 minutes, then wipe it away with a damp cloth. You can also sprinkle baking soda inside your shoes before spraying them with vinegar, as the baking soda will help to absorb moisture and odor.
Following these steps on how to use vinegar to remove ammonia smell from shoes:
- Mix equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution inside your shoes.
- Let the solution sit for 30 minutes.
- Wipe away the solution with a damp cloth.
- Repeat steps 2-4 as needed until the ammonia smell is gone.
Vinegar is a natural disinfectant that can help to kill the bacteria that are causing the odor. It is also a mild acid that can help to break down the ammonia molecules.
3. Wash Them
You can wash your sneakers in the washing machine to remove bad odor. However, it is important to follow these steps to prevent damage to your shoes:
- Remove the laces and insoles from your shoes.
- Place your shoes in a mesh bag.
- Set your washing machine to a cold, gentle cycle.
- Add a small amount of mild detergent to the washing machine.
- Wash your shoes according to the washing instructions on the care tag.
- Once your shoes are washed, remove them from the washing machine and stuff them with newspaper to maintain their shape while they dry naturally.
Do not use hot water, as this can cause the shoes to shrink or warp. Do not use bleach or other harsh chemicals, as these can damage the shoes. Don’t overload the washing machine, as this can cause the shoes to be damaged.
By following these steps, you can safely wash your sneakers in the washing machine to remove bad odor.
4: Make Tea Bag Shoe Deodorizers
Yes, tea bags can be used as shoe deodorizers. Tea bags are made from dried tea leaves, which contain tannins. Tannins are natural astringents that can help to absorb moisture and odor. To use tea bags as shoe deodorizers, simply place a few tea bags in each shoe and let them sit for a few hours or overnight. The tea bags will absorb the moisture and odor from your shoes, leaving them smelling fresh and clean.
5. Add Lemon Peel to Your Shoes
Do you have smelly shoes? If so, you’re not alone. Many people suffer from foot odor, which can be caused by a number of factors, including sweating, bacteria, and fungi. While there are a number of commercial products available to help with foot odor, you can also use natural remedies, such as lemon peel.
Lemon peel is a natural deodorizer that can help to absorb moisture and bacteria, which can cause foot odor. To use lemon peel as a shoe deodorizer, simply place a few pieces of lemon peel in each shoe and let them sit for a few hours or overnight. The lemon peel will absorb the moisture and odor from your shoes, leaving them smelling fresh and clean.
6. Create a Shoe Deodorant
Here are the ingredients you will need to create a shoe deodorant powder:
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- Optional: 10-15 drops essential oil (such as lavender, peppermint, or tea tree oil)
Here are the steps on how to make your own shoe deodorant powder:
- Combine the cornstarch, baking soda, and baking powder in a bowl.
- Mix the ingredients together until they are well combined.
- If desired, add 10-15 drops of essential oil to the powder.
- Transfer the mixture to a shaker bottle or an airtight container with a lid.
- Before using, shake the bottle or container to ensure the ingredients are mixed properly.
- Sprinkle a small amount of the powder inside each shoe, making sure to distribute it evenly.
- Let the powder sit inside the shoes overnight.
- Shake out any excess powder the next day.
- Repeat this process as necessary until the odor is gone.
This homemade shoe deodorant powder is a cost-effective and natural alternative to commercial shoe deodorizer. It is made with all-natural ingredients, so it is safe to use on your skin. It is effective at absorbing moisture and neutralizing odors. And it is easy to make and use.
7. Use Charcoal Bags
Charcoal bags are a great way to deodorize shoes. They are made from activated charcoal, which is a porous material that absorbs moisture and odors. Charcoal bags are also natural and non-toxic, so they are safe to use in your shoes.
To use charcoal bags to deodorize your shoes, simply place one bag in each shoe. The bags will absorb moisture and odors overnight, and they can be reused for up to two weeks. You can also place charcoal bags in your gym bag, closet, or other areas where you want to remove odors.
8. Put The Smelly shoes in a Freezer
Yes, you can put smelly shoes in the freezer to deodorize them. The cold temperature will kill the bacteria that cause odor, and it will also help to dry out the shoes, which can help to prevent future odor.
To deodorize your shoes in the freezer, simply place them in a sealed plastic bag and put them in the freezer overnight. In the morning, your shoes should be deodorized and ready to wear.
Here are some tips for deodorizing your shoes in the freezer:
- Make sure to seal the plastic bag tightly to prevent moisture from escaping.
- If your shoes are particularly smelly, you can leave them in the freezer for longer than overnight.
- You can also add a few drops of essential oil to the plastic bag for a pleasant scent.
9. Embrace Essential Oils
Essential oils are concentrated liquids that are extracted from plants. They are often used for their therapeutic properties, which can include relieving stress, improving sleep, and boosting mood. Essential oils can also be used to deodorize and freshen up your home.
Here are some ways to embrace essential oils in your life:
- Add a few drops of essential oil to your bathwater for a relaxing soak.
- Diffuse essential oils in your home to create a calming and inviting atmosphere.
- Apply essential oils topically to your skin for relief from pain, inflammation, and other conditions.
- Use essential oils in aromatherapy to improve your mood and boost your energy levels.
When using essential oils, it is important to start with a small amount and to dilute the oil with a carrier oil, such as jojoba oil or coconut oil. This will help to prevent the oil from irritating your skin. It is also important to avoid using essential oils if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have any underlying health conditions.
If you are new to essential oils, it is a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional before using them. They can help you to choose the right essential oils for your needs and to learn how to use them safely.
10. Stuff Your Shoes With Soap
Sure, you can stuff your shoes with soap to deodorize them. Soap is a natural deodorizer that can help to absorb moisture and neutralize odors.
To deodorize your shoes with soap, simply place a bar of soap in each shoe. The soap will absorb moisture and odors overnight, and it can be reused for up to a week. You can also place bars of soap in your gym bag, closet, or other areas where you want to remove odors.
Here are some tips for deodorizing your shoes with soap:
- Use a natural soap, such as a bar of glycerin soap.
- Replace the soap after a week or when it starts to lose its effectiveness.
- You can also add a few drops of essential oil to the soap for a pleasant scent.
- If your shoes are particularly smelly, you can place the soap in the shoes for longer than overnight.